Thursday, June 5, 2008

How I ended up in Summit County

This is my very first blog.... When I was contemplating where to start, I realized I should begin with how I came to the place in my life where I began to call Summit County home.

I am from CA and had been living on the beach in San Diego for years. A good friend who I had met there decided to move to Boulder. I planned a vacation in October 2000 to visit her in Boulder. Immediately upon my arrival she was called away for a family emergency but offered for me to still stay and use her car to explore. I spent a few days in Boulder and had heard of Breckenridge so decided to take a drive up. I spent the day in awe of the beautiful mountains. That evening I stopped at the Breckenridge Brewery for dinner and when a group noticed I was eating alone, they offered for me to join them in a game of pool. I was so excited to meet "locals" and we chatted for hours about Summit County and how they arrived here too. Keep in mind that 70% of homes owned here are second/third home owners so most people aren't from here. Everyone has a story!

I drove around the next day and really felt home. I decided right then that I'd move here for the ski season and just enjoy mountain life! So here I am 8 years later. The saying in Summit County goes "you'll come for the winters and stay for the summers." The summers here are perfect! So while I still enjoy the winter activities it is the people who call this home and the summer days that really make Summit County so special to me.